Queen Elizabeth I’s speech to the troops at Tilbury


 My favorite speech was from Elizabeth I of England. She was the last of the 5 monarchs of the House of Tudors. Her inspirational speech was during the 1500s, during the time that English and Spanish had a major rivalry in taking over the control of trade in the New World. At that time, King Philip II of Spain sent a fleet of troops and warship targeted to England, with the desire to conquer the country.

Fearing the invasion, especially when the Spanish Armada (the name of those Spanish troops and warships) was reached England's shore, the statesman Robert Dudley had arranged Elizabeth I to meet the land army assembled in Tilbury (Essex) in order to rally the troops on 9th August 1958. Her speech during the visit had made history and help bring victory to the battle after a nine-day battle.

The full speech:

"My loving people,

We have been persuaded by some that are careful of our safety to take heed how we commit ourselves to armed multitudes, for fear of treachery. But I assure you, I do not desire to live to distrust my faithful and loving people.

Let tyrants fear. I have always so behaved myself that, under God, I have placed my chiefest strength and safeguard in the loyal hearts and good-will of my subjects; and therefore I am come amongst you, as you see, at this time, not for my recreation and disport, but being resolved, in the midst and heat of the battle, to live and die amongst you all; to lay down for my God, and for my kingdom, and my people, my honor and my blood, even in the dust.

I know I have the body of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too, and think foul scorn that Parma or Spain, or any prince of Europe, should dare to invade the borders of my realm: to which rather than any dishonor shall grow by me, I myself will take up arms, I myself will be your general, judge, and rewarder of every one of your virtues in the field.

I know already, for your forwardness you have deserved rewards and crowns; and We do assure you on a word of a prince, they shall be duly paid. In the meantime, my lieutenant-general shall be in my stead, than whom never prince commanded a more noble or worthy subject; not doubting but by your obedience to my general, by your concord in the camp, and your valor in the field, we shall shortly have a famous victory over these enemies of my God, of my kingdom, and of my people."

Analysis and opinion:

From the beginning of the speech, the queen mentioned her people as "my loving people", which was putting forward the connection between her and the citizens were generally positive. In addition to that, all of her first parts had clearly shown that she relatively emphasized how she trust those citizens, and how they devoted her back. Regardless that they betrayed or replaced her with Queen Mary of Scots, she would "not desire to live to distrust my faithful and loving people" which concluded that she would always show her generosity and respect attitude towards the individual (individual in here is for the soldiers, who defend her and England). 

There was a part she talks about “careful of our safety”. This time, she was using a royal plural. Her enemies were various, namely those Spanish and the Catholics(she was a committed Protestant) who were attempting for a day to unseat her, as they thought she shouldn't be the succeeder to the throne after her father, Henry VIII, executed her mother from the country. Therefore, plots were trying to throw her out of the throne :)

As Elizabeth went on, there were tangible presences of her shortening her relationship with those troops as she compared the regardless of her being anointed by God and placed above them. "Let tyrant fear" was a big example. Just two years previously, in 1586, the people against Elizabeth's life had been found out and foiled. Elizabeth then says, "let tyrants fear." By doing so, she implies that she is not a tyrant. Rather, it was her enemies, such as King Philip II of Spain, who were tyrannical. Especially, she included death topics as well, mentioned in “live and die amongst you all” and “my honor and my blood”. The queen was expressing her own mortal, inner feelings, and opinions were similar to them. Exacted from Tudor Blogger, "No doubt Elizabeth sees honor as her innermost core as a monarch, and so is willing to sacrifice herself body and soul, to England, to protect her country and her people."

This middle part was the most popular one at the speech at Tilbury, and also my favorite. It was “I know I have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a King of England, too”. To give a briefing, her female monarchs precedents did pretty much nothing and were successful. However, Elizabeth put herself to the leaders around Europe and confirmed to the troops that she was way much more different. Although she acknowledged that her body might not be strong or muscular comparing to other kings out there. She was breaking all those old-tradition molds to feel and act like a king from the part "I myself will be your general, judge, and rewarder of every one of your virtues in the field."

She ended her speech with a strong declaration of "we shall shortly have a famous victory over those enemies of my God, of my kingdom, and of my people” to show her expectations of her to the soldiers who participated in the war. The god meant towards those Catholic states, which sparked a sensitive topic in the late 16th century in Europe. Another mystified mention in her enemies was "my kingdom" which pointed directly to those princes and princesses who were devasting to overthrow and alternative her from the throne. Eventually, "of my people" implies that Elizabeth stands shoulder to shoulder with her people, and they will help each other through difficulties. 

To wrap up, I think her speech was very realistic, either her declarations and connection to people. Her speech was a literally huge inspiration to the troops in Tilbury if I were them because as a reader, I could feel her spirit, expectations to those people that will defend her and them from the enemies.

Comments

  1. OK post, but you do not say why you like it nor analyze the language she used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've add more analysis and details to the work, you can check it out!

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is much better. Wonderful evaluation. Well done Tilly = 90%.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts